Day 12 of 30 recipes in 30 days
I must admit that my self-imposed 30 recipes in 30 days challenge is becoming harder day by day! I woke up this morning and thought that I can’t possibly eat any more bloody food! Then I remembered my perpetual hankering to create a vegan vanilla cupcake that didn’t taste like a brick and I felt a little more inspired. I was so happy with how these turned out. Not a vegan brick in sight!
I think the kids will love these as they were light and fluffy, and I loved how they were super lemony. Even though my lemon tree has really suffered with the drought, it still seems to have a plentiful supply of lemons almost ready to be picked. They are quite small this year and mainly pith, but their zest is beautiful. I will add these cupcakes to the growing pile of lunch box items in the freezer. I don’t think the kids have ever had such a choice of items for their lunch boxes and I honestly don’t think I can eat any more than the obligatory taste tester!
Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes:
1 1/4 cups Plain Flour
3/4 cup Caster Sugar
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
Zest of 1 lemon
2/3 cup Almond Milk
1/4 cup Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees Celsius fan-forced oven. Line a cupcake pan with 12 cases.
- In a bowl mix the dry ingredients together
- In another bowl mix the wet ingredients together
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix that together. Mix until the batter just comes together – to avoid the vegan brick don’t overmix.
- Evenly fill the cupcake cases
- Bake 20 minutes until tops are lightly golden. Allow to cool.
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1 tablespoon of milk
Zest from two lemons
2 cups of icing sugar
Drizzle the glaze over the cupcakes and decorate with whatever takes your fancy. I used lemon zest and some silver cachous balls.