Green pear salad. Oh my god. My number one favourite Thai dish is Green Papaya salad. Unfortunately neither of our little Thai restaurants offer Green Papaya salad in Tenterfield. As a result, it is the only thing I eat when I am at a Thai restaurant on the Gold Coast or Brisbane. I could literally eat it for lunch and dinner for days in a row. I have always wanted to make it but I was a bit stymied by a couple of ingredients, namely the fish sauce and the green papaya.
It was only when Bec from Tenterfield Health mentioned that she had a vegan fish sauce in-store that I started salivating regularly with thoughts of a Green Papaya salad. The Cocomino Fysh sauce by Niulife is amazing. It is so bloody good. I did not have time to source Green Papaya on Saturday. So I was inventive. I thought that green pear and white cabbage might be good substitutes in terms of texture and sweetness. We decided last minute on Saturday that we would have a beach day at Evans Head on Sunday and I was determined to make this salad for the beach and also for Archie and Rissie’s multi-cultural day at school on Monday.
This salad was good. Bloody good. Actually it was one of the best things I have eaten in a long time and that is saying something as I eat really well! Archie even asked for it for his Survivor dinner tonight (3rd time in a week!).
The dressing had the perfect mix of sweet and sour and spice. Also the pear and the cabbage combination was amazing. I am in love with roasted peanuts at the moment. So I was pretty liberal with the peanuts in this recipe. Just reduce the quantity if you don’t fancy that many. See recipe notes for the variation I did for Archie tonight with vermicelli noodles.
Green Pear Salad
- 3 packham pears small, firm
- 3 carrots peeled and julienned
- 1 white cabbage small and finely sliced
- 1 red capiscum deseeded, deveined and julienned
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes cut into about 8 - 10 wedges
- 375 gram roasted and salted peanuts use 1/2 a cup in dressing - see below, use remaining for salad
- 3 lime cut into wedges for garnish
- Small handful coriander leaves picked off for garnish
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- 1/2 cup roasted and salted peanuts
- 2 chillies dried or fresh, stem cut off
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup vegan fysh sauce
- Add all salad ingredients to bowl and combine.
- Add garlic, peanuts, chillies, brown sugar and salt to a mini processor and process to a paste. You could also do this in a mortar and pestle if you prefer.
- Transfer to a bowl and add lime juice and fysh sauce.
- Combine with a fork or whisk.
- Add the dressing to the salad and combine well.
- Garnish with lime wedges and coriander.